Apple also used the launch event to announce a partnership with NTT DOCOMO to sell the new iPhones in Japan, starting Sept. 20.
The company, however, made no reference to its rumored iWatch during the event and did not provide any update on a new Apple TV.
Today's launch was the first of two major events in a busy week for Apple. The iPhone maker will be hosting an event at Beijing's World Trade Center on Wednesday, which could herald the deal with China Mobile (CHL).
--Written by James Rogers in New York.Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV