RONALD REAGAN BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENSE TEST SITE, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) Standard Missile-3 Block IA guided missile and AN/TPY-2 ballistic missile defense radar played integral roles in the success of Flight Test Operational-01, the Missile Defense Agency's operational test of the U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense System.
During the test, a SM-3 Block IA guided missile fired from the USS Decatur (DDG 73) intercepted a medium-range ballistic missile target. An AN/TPY-2 radar, operating in forward-based mode, detected, discriminated and tracked the target throughout the target's trajectory.
"The SM-3 and AN/TPY-2 are two indispensable elements of the Ballistic Missile Defense System," said Dr. Taylor W. Lawrence, president of Raytheon Missile Systems. "This operational test proves our nation has capable, reliable systems deployed today defending the U.S. and its allies against the growing ballistic missile threat."
Adding to the complexity of the test, a terminal-mode AN/TPY-2 radar also detected, tracked and discriminated the threat. This capability enables additional engagement opportunities, allowing for a "shoot-access-shoot" layered missile defense if necessary."As ballistic missiles continue to proliferate and the weapons become more sophisticated, it's imperative the U.S. and our allies have proven, reliable defensive systems like SM-3 and AN/TPY-2," said Dan Crowley, president of Raytheon's Integrated Defense Systems business. "SM-3 and both modes of the AN/TPY-2 are deployed around the world today, protecting warfighters, civilians and critical infrastructure." About AN/TPY-2 AN/TPY-2 is a high resolution, mobile, rapidly deployable X-band radar capable of providing long-range acquisition, precision track, and discrimination of short-, medium- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles. The AN/TPY-2 may be deployed globally in either terminal or forward-based mode. In terminal mode, the AN/TPY-2 serves as the search, detect, track, discrimination and fire-control radar for the THAAD weapon system, enabling the THAAD missile to intercept and destroy threats. In forward-based mode, the AN/TPY-2 cues the BMDS by detecting, discriminating and tracking enemy ballistic missiles in the ascent phase of flight.
- AN/TPY-2 has performed flawlessly in both terminal and forward-based mode in all major tests.
- On Oct. 25, 2012, two AN/TPY-2 radars – one terminal and one forward-based – participated in FTI-01, the MDA's largest and most complex exercise. In a complex raid scenario involving multiple targets, both radars met or exceeded all test objectives.
- On April 15, 2011, a forward-based AN/TPY-2 extended the battlespace by providing fire control-quality track data to an Aegis BMD ship, which fired a Standard Missile-3 using launch on remote capability, which resulted in a successful intercept of a separating intermediate range ballistic missile.
- Raytheon has delivered eight AN/TPY-2s to the Missile Defense Agency. Some of those radars are currently helping defend the U.S. and its allies in the European, Pacific and Central Command areas of responsibilities.
- Aegis BMD has demonstrated 26 successful intercepts in 32 at-sea events, including the successful intercept of a non-functioning satellite during Operation Burnt Frost in February 2008.
- Aegis BMD 3.6 Weapon System and the SM-3 Block IA were assessed as operationally suitable and effective by an independent operational test agency in 2008.
- More than 160 SM-3s have been delivered to U.S. and Japanese navies.
- All SM-3 guided missiles use Aerojet Rocketdyne-produced MK 72 boosters and MK 104 dual-thrust rocket motors for first and second stage propulsion.
- The next-generation SM-3 Block IB is on track for a 2015 deployment at sea and ashore.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV