STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich., Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics Land Systems has been awarded a $118 million contract by the U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command to convert 66 flat-bottom Stryker infantry combat vehicles to a newer, more survivable double-V hull (DVH) design. Deliveries of the vehicles will begin in July 2014 and be completed by February 2015. General Dynamics Land Systems is a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
The Army partnered with General Dynamics in 2012 and launched a Stryker DVH-exchange pilot program to validate that components from traditional Stryker flat-bottom variants can be quickly refurbished and installed on a new, more survivable double-V hull variant, at less cost than producing a new vehicle. General Dynamics and the Anniston Army Depot in Anniston, Ala., successfully completed the DVH pilot program in April 2013 and delivered 52 Stryker vehicles on time and under budget.
The first brigade of Strykers equipped with double-V hulls was fielded in 2011 to provide Stryker-borne soldiers increased protection from the effects of roadside mines and improvised explosive devices. With MRAP-like or better survivability, the DVH configuration also includes a more rugged suspension system that has greatly improved mobility and reduced operating costs. Two brigades of double-V hull Stryker vehicles were produced between July 2010 and July 2013.
The final assembly work will be performed at the Anniston Army Depot and will help to sustain the jobs of 80 employees who support the program. The contract will also preserve several jobs at General Dynamics' plant in Scranton, Penn.More information about General Dynamics Land Systems is available at www.gdls.com. SOURCE General Dynamics Land Systems
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV