Why You Won't Get as Much Out of a Reverse Mortgage Now
In a reverse mortgage deal, homeowners 62 and older use their home equity to take cash out of their homes without having to make a mortgage payment. Reverse mortgage lenders take over the payments and get their investment back once the home is sold (usually once the homeowner dies or moves out.)
The changes come from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which seeks to use its Home Equity Conversion Mortgage Program to reduce the risk linked to reverse mortgages. Consumers will no longer to be able to take their reverse mortgage payments in a lump sum and will face limits on just how much cash they can take out of a home, especially in the first year of an agreement.
"Our goal here is to make certain our reverse mortgage program is a financially sustainable option for seniors that will allow them to age in place in their own homes," Federal Housing Commissioner Carol Galante says.HUD reports that demographic changes over the past decade have made reverse mortgages riskier, including:
- A shift away from adjustable rate mortgages.
- More homeowners accessing home equity lines of credit.
- A higher number of younger mortgage borrowers with higher household debt amid "stagnant" home prices.
- Restrictions on the amount of funds senior borrowers may draw down at closing and during the first 12 months after closing.
- A mandated financial assessment for all HECM borrowers to ensure that they have the capacity and willingness to meet their financial obligations and the terms of the reverse mortgage.
- Requiring borrowers to set aside a portion of the loan proceeds at closing (or withhold a portion of monthly loan disbursements) for the payment of property taxes and insurance based on the results of the financial assessment.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts