Trade-Ideas: Morgan Stanley (MS) Is Today's Momo Momentum Stock
- MS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $300.9 million.
- MS has a PE ratio of 37.5.
- MS is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- MS is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- MS is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- MS is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- MS has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 0.8%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MS NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MS: Morgan Stanley, a financial holding company, provides various financial products and services to corporations, governments, financial institutions, and individuals worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.8%. MS has a PE ratio of 37.5. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Morgan Stanley a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Morgan Stanley has been 15.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Morgan Stanley has a market cap of $52.2 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 2.48 and a short float of 1.5% with 1.91 days to cover. Shares are up 40.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Morgan Stanley as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MS's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 12.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 65.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $591.00 million to $980.00 million.
- MORGAN STANLEY reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MORGAN STANLEY reported lower earnings of $0.00 versus $1.16 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an increase in earnings to $2.10 from $0.00.
- The gross profit margin for MORGAN STANLEY is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.03%. Regardless of MS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 10.08% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MORGAN STANLEY underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Morgan Stanley Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.