NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) shares have enjoyed strong gains ahead of the company's widely anticipated iPhone 5S launch later Tuesday, although analysts are urging investors not to get too carried away.
JMP Securities Analyst Alex Gauna acknowledged a "narrow set of expectations" in a note released on Monday and "more muted speculative fervor" heading into the event. Like many observers, the analyst expects Apple to announce an iPhone 5S with upgraded processor and connectivity hardware, as well as a new champagne color model and dual flash. He also anticipates a cheaper iPhone 5C with broader color options and lower hardware specs, such as 3G connectivity for emerging markets where LTE is not available.
Gauna, however, warned investors to take a pragmatic approach to Apple's big day, pointing to the company's traditional share performance around its events.
"Given the run up, and given the historic tendency for muted AAPL performance after a new iPhone reveal, we continue to be fundamentally neutral on the story," he said. Instead, Gauna recommends that investors "play the excitement" around the new hardware features via Apple component suppliers such as Qualcomm (QCOM), Skyworks (SWKS) and PSMI (PSMI).JMP Securities rated Apple "market perform." Apple shares have gained more than 11% over the last month. The company's shares climbed almost 8% over a similar timeframe prior to Apple's iPhone 5 launch last September but then fell 4.67% in the month following the announcement. "As do any new products from Apple, there is significant investor interest ahead of the event and shares have rallied going in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV