NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Today will likely be a difficult trading day for auto-repair company Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack (PBY), which put up worse-than-expected third-quarter numbers following yesterday's market close.
Revenue, expected to be $540 million, came in at $525.7 million, and earnings per share of 10 cents were below the 19 cent consensus estimate. Shares fell 7% in after-hours trading.
It's been a difficult couple of years for this company, which at times has appeared to be attractive as a value play. Pep Boys exchanged hands for more than $35 a share back in 1996, and it has been a roller-coaster ride ever since.
The company long paid cash dividends, but that ended in 2012. The same year, the company was set to be acquired by Gores Group for $15 a share, which I believed at the time to be a steal for Gores. But the following May, Gores got cold feet; scared by Pep Boys operating performance, and walked away from the deal. In turn, Pep Boys walked away from that broken deal with a $50 million breakup fee, which allowed it to reduce debt to the $200 million range where it now stands.
PBY data by
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV