Students can stand eye-to-eye with a bearded dragon or write about a hamster’s habitat with help from a Pets in the Classroom grant from PetSmart® (NASDAQ: PETM), available now for the 2013 school year in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Administered through the Pet Care Trust, the program helps pre-kindergarten through eighth-grade teachers cover most of the cost of a classroom pet and start-up supplies.
Classroom pets are great for kids because they can be easy to care for and demonstrate unique behaviors that can get everyone excited about learning. (Photo: Business Wire)
Grants are available to help with the introduction of a fish, guinea pig, hamster, bearded dragon, leopard gecko, snake, fancy rat, parakeet or aquatic turtle. Since 2011 PetSmart has provided more than 7,500 grants to teachers, helping hundreds of thousands of students experience the hands-on learning and fun of classroom pets.
“I recently introduced a corn snake to my class with help from a Pets in the Classroom grant, and I've been thrilled with the excitement and engagement the pet brings to my students,” said Meryl Davidson, a first-grade teacher at Pinehurst Elementary School in Pinehurst, N.C. “Not only is a reptile a great way to support learning around math, science and reading, but our snake also encourages wonderful exploration and fun in the classroom.”
Classroom pets are great for kids because they can be easy to care for and demonstrate unique behaviors that can get everyone excited about learning, according to PetSmart. Additionally, pets can help teach important lessons and support kids’ school performance. For example:
- Pets help adults create a welcoming environment in the classroom and more easily relate with their students.
- Bonding with a pet can give students a common ground with each other, and therefore encourage friendships and positive interactions.
- Since kids often view pets as friends, classroom pets can encourage good behavior. For example, a teacher can tell students to use inside-voices because too much noise may scare the pet. In turn, students understand and respond.
- Shy or struggling students may improve skills such as reading when the audience is a pet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV