LONDON, Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Federation Against Copyright Theft ( FACT) is using IBM (NYSE: IBM) Big Data intelligence analytics software to help combat piracy of intellectual property (IP) among its members. The IBM technology has helped FACT increase access to better intelligence and improves efficiency in identifying individuals and organizations that create and distribute fraudulent, copyright-infringing content in all forms.
Established in 1983, FACT is dedicated to protecting the IP of its members, working with industry partners and law enforcement bodies worldwide. Members of FACT include global and UK film distributors, TV broadcasters and sport rights owners.
FACT's access to better intelligence through the IBM Big Data intelligence analytics software has virtually eliminated illegal in-cinema recordings in the UK, with only one such recording in the past two years. Previously, more than 90 percent of the counterfeit versions of movies originated from a copy recorded in a cinema. This has led to more prosecutions of those responsible for the capturing, copying, sharing and selling of illegal pirated copies of audio-visual media.According to a report published by Oxford Economics and commissioned by Respect for Film, the audio-visual sector loses more than £500 million in the UK each year because of copyright theft. Fraud of this scale has significant economic impact on an industry that supports 1.9 million jobs in the UK and accounts for more than eight percent of GDP. FACT has used IBM Big Data intelligence analytics software since 2005 when it replaced a system of managing large volumes of data in spreadsheets. With an intelligence-led approach, data analysts at FACT can now quickly establish patterns and relationships, and make non-obvious connections between disparate sources of data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV