Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 1:08 p.m. EDT on Real Money on Sept. 9, as part of the NFL Kickoff Open House. Sign up for a free trial of Real Money.
Opportunity is knocking with Sanchez Energy (SN). This little company, call it the son of EOG Resources (EOG), just filed 8 million shares so it could buy more assets in the Eagle Ford region, which has the most bountiful shale in this country.
Sanchez bought Hess's (HES) assets in Eagle Ford when Hess decided to focus on the Bakken Oil Formation. It bought those for $265 million in March. These new assets, the Wycross assets, are almost all oil. They, cost $220 million and they immediately boosted Sanchez's production a significant amount. This one is the one to watch. It shrewdly is not borrowing money, it's doing it all with equity.
In interviews, Tony Sanchez he loved his overlooked status when they bought the Hess properties. No one is thinking about this $800 million company that's up 32% this year. Big mistake. It has become a pure play on the Eagle Ford and it is a natural to be snapped up a year from now by a company such as Statoil (STO) or Cimarex (XEC) to boost assets. Sanchez may be the most exciting unheard play on this shale.You have to get in on this deal. It will raise numbers further and allow more analyst coverage, which is meager right now. Sanchez, the football player, may never get in again. Sanchez, the oil play, is a starter right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV