JUNO BEACH, Fla., Sept. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Florida Power & Light Company today announced that POWER magazine selected the company's Cape Canaveral Next Generation Clean Energy Center as a Top Plant for 2013. According to POWER, Top Plants include projects that have distinguished themselves as industry leaders for a range of factors including unique technology or importance to their local community.
"It's fitting that this historic Cape Canaveral site, which emerged to power American innovation and leadership during the space race more than half a century ago, is using some of the most advanced technology fueled by U.S. natural gas to help power the Space Coast," said FPL Executive Vice President of Power Generation Tony Rodriguez. "This energy center is playing an important role in our continued ability to deliver more than 99.98 percent service reliably to our customers with typical residential bills that are among the lowest of Florida's 55 electric utilities."
FPL's Cape Canaveral Next Generation Clean Energy Center came online April 24, 2013, one month ahead of schedule and more than $140 million under its approximately $1 billion budget. The facility is part of FPL's commitment to replace older plants with newer, more fuel-efficient energy centers that run on American-made natural gas. The new plant is 33 percent more fuel efficient than the plant it replaced, cuts carbon dioxide emissions by more than 50 percent, and reduces air emissions by more than 90 percent. Additionally, it generates enough electricity to power 250,000 homes and businesses, nearly double that of the original plant, without using any additional water or land.Over its operational lifetime, the new fuel-efficient plant is expected to provide FPL customers with hundreds of millions of dollars in fuel and other savings over and above the cost of construction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV