NEW YORK, Sept. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon has expanded 100G technology on its ultra-long-haul network in the U.S. and Europe, adding the technology to more than 4,800 miles of its global IP network during the first half of 2013.
The 100G expansion includes almost 4,500 miles on the Verizon U.S. network, bringing to approximately 21,400 the total number of 100G miles currently deployed on the network. Among the new 100G routes are Seattle to Salt Lake City, Indianapolis to St. Louis, St. Louis to Memphis, Charlotte to Nashville and Cleveland to Detroit.
The company has a goal of deploying an additional 8,700 100G miles in the U.S. by the end of the year.
In Europe, Verizon deployed 100G on an additional 350 miles between Brussels and Frankfurt, bringing to 5,100 the total number of 100G miles in Europe. The company plans to deploy an additional 1,400 miles by the end of this year."Not only does Verizon have one of the largest global networks, we have one of the most robust and sophisticated networks with 100G technology deployed on multiple routes in the U.S. and Europe," said Kyle Malady, senior vice president of global network operations and engineering. "As long as our bandwidth demand grows, we'll continue deploying high bit-rate technology that underlies the superior experience that our business and consumer customers expect." The growing demand for higher bandwidth comes from core backbone capacity needed to stay ahead of such drivers as over-the-top video, cloud services, 4G LTE mobile technology and collaboration services. The 100G technology provides the necessary level of performance combined with the flexibility to meet traffic type demand and enterprise customer requirements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV