BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Phew, good thing that's over. August was the worst month for stocks in more than a year: the S&P 500 shed a whopping 3.13% for the month. That little statistic says quite a bit about what kind of environment investors have been enjoying since last May.
Just in case anyone is unclear, 15 straight months without a 5% dip is a bull market.
And it's "new month, new market" again in September. While the S&P has only climbed 1.4% since the calendar flipped over last week, the tenor of the market has changed. Investors appear willing to step in and buy in the face of scary headlines again. And it couldn't have happened at a better time -- broad market indices were testing their intermediate-term trendline last week. Yes, the uptrend remains intact.That's creating some buying opportunities this week, and it's why we're turning to a new set of Rocket Stocks. >>4 Red-Flag Stocks to Sell This Fall For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 213 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 88.3%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV