For example, as JPMorgan (and other megabanks) move away from student lending, smaller banks will undoubtedly step up to serve the student lending market, and it may increase the bottom line, but not overall margins.
Philip van Doorn makes the argument that leaving lower-margin "safe" loans increases the overall risk banks face because of diminished diversification. I don't necessarily disagree with him, but from an investor's point of view, the risk isn't squarely on the shoulders of investors anymore.
As long as the banks are considered systemically crucial to the financial health of the country/world, not only can they increase their portfolio risk profile, they should do so for the same reasons investors should buy shares, namely "heads JPMorgan Chase wins and increases profits, or tails the loans don't perform, the government injects liquidity, and JPMorgan Chase breaks even.
The result may not be the original desired goal of regulators; however, as investors we want to play the hand we're dealt, and JPMorgan is a superb hand.At the time of publication, Weinstein had no positions in stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV