9. Merck (MRK - Get Report) -- can these guys get a little bold, at least? Can they even attempt to bring out shareholder value? Did they get anything at all from that Schering-Plough merger? Was there any gain there? What the heck is going on at this company that it seems, with everything they try, they can no longer pull anything off? Also, why the heck did they hire the chief scientist of Amgen (AMGN - Get Report), of all places, when they got rid of the previous underperformer? Amgen? That's about the only biotech that hasn't produced anything new in years, hence that company's acquisition of Onyx. How could Merck be so obtuse? I kept thinking they Merck have to do something to bring out value -- perhaps split up the company and sell is animal-health division, like Pfizer (PFE - Get Report) did. One day they will. But Merck may actually be the only major pharmaceutical company that's doing nothing at all to create value. Maybe it's anti-value-creation? One day value will be unlocked, but it is discouraging, and the Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust finally threw in the towel on this one.
10. Oracle (ORCL - Get Report) -- I'm so glad that CEO Larry Ellison is still paying himself $96 million for doing all of that heavy lifting that's gotten Oracle shareholders almost nothing in return. Here's a company that everyone still loves, even as it keeps missing quarter after quarter. It obviously has become so desperate about its lack of a cloud-computing business that it had to partner with Salesforce.com (CRM - Get Report), the same company it's been dissing privately for years. At one point, Oracle, like Microsoft (MSFT - Get Report) and like Intel (INTL - Get Report), was a great company. Now it's just taking up space and paying people fortunes to work there. Oracle shareholders of the world unite and get on the payroll, so you can make fortunes like everyone else there. At least management has finally stopped saying that Sun Micro was a good acquisition.
That's about all the spleen-venting I can do in one day. I can't wait to savage the additional underperformers that Real Money contributors enter in Columnist Conversation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV