Romanians Protest Against Planned Gold Mine
By ALISON MUTLER
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) â¿¿ Thousands of Romanians demonstrated on Sunday both for and against a planned Canadian gold mine that would use cyanide in the extraction process. The project would create the biggest gold mine in Europe, razing four mountains to make way for an open pit mine.
Supporters say the mine would bring vital jobs and investment to the deprived area in northwest Romania. But opponents say it will present an environmental risk.
In the Romanian capital, thousands of people protesting against the mine shouted "Save Rosia Montana," referring to the town where it would be located and where gold has been mined for more than 2,000 years.The anti-mine protesters in Bucharest's University Square urged lawmakers not to pass legislation that would approve the mine as a "special national interest" creating foreign investment and jobs in the deprived area. They later blocked a main road in the city. Some 6,000 people rallied in the city of Cluj, which is near the mine, also urging parliament to block the legislation, Mediafax news agency reported. In the town of Rosia Montana, thousands of miners used their annual rally on miner's day to urge Parliament to allow the mine to open, saying it would create jobs and investment, local authorities said. Rosia Montana Town Hall put the turnout at 10,000 people. For the past week, there have been protests in Bucharest and other Romanian cities against the draft bill the government has put forward that would allow Canadian company Gabriel Resources to mine gold and silver there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV