Government Of Canada Honours Canada's Merchant Navy Veterans
OTTAWA, Sept. 8, 2013 /CNW/ - On behalf of the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa—Orléans, joined Canadian Merchant Navy Veterans at the National War Memorial to remember the fallen members of the Merchant Navy and mark the 10 th annual Merchant Navy Veterans Day.
"We are forever indebted to our Merchant Navy Veterans whose wartime efforts helped shape our nation," said Minister Fantino. "Those who served in the Allies' fleets of transport ships that supplied desperately needed equipment, goods, fuel and personnel around the world had to do their crucial jobs knowing that their ships were prime targets for enemy action."
Each year, Canadians mark Merchant Navy Veterans Day on September 3. Today's ceremony was held to coincide with the Canadian Merchant Navy Veterans Association's Annual General Meeting being held in Ottawa.
"As we mark the 10 th anniversary of Merchant Navy Veterans Day, we remember that Canada's Merchant Navy played a critical role during the First and Second World Wars," said MP Galipeau. "Time and again, our sailors braved the deadly waters of the North Atlantic between North America and Europe, maintaining that lifeline of men and of supplies to help secure victory in both world wars."On this occasion, Canadians are encouraged to not only remember Veterans, but to also honour Canadian Armed Forces personnel who continue to serve today. More information on the role played by Canada's Merchant Navy during the war years can be found at veterans.gc.ca. 2013 is the Year of the Korean War Veteran—Canada proudly remembers the heroes of the Korean War and their brave fight to defend the Republic of Korea and uphold freedom, democracy and the rule of law. For more information on Canada's role in the Korean War, visit veterans.gc.ca . SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV