10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S.
6. Boneyard Beer
Location: Bend, Ore.
2011 production: 2,968 barrels
2012 production: 8,650 barrels
Growth rate: 191%
What if you made arguably the best IPA in the Pacific Northwest and it was practically your second job? That's basically Boneyard founder Tony Lawrence's entire brewery backstory. After starting his career in 1989 washing kegs at Deschutes for founder John Harris to make enough money to keep snowboarding, Lawrence took brewing gigs at Firestone Walker in California and Three Floyds in Indiana. He came back to Bend in 2005 to open a brewery-specific metal fabrication business and basically built Boneyard from the scrap pile that gave the brewery its name.
That fabrication business is still intact and Boneyard's tattoo-style, gearheaded, adrenalized labeling, merchandizing and marketing still mesh perfectly with it. As do the brewery's potent, hop forward RPM IPA (7% ABV/50 IBU), Hop Venom Double IPA (8.9% ABV/80 IBU) and Notorious Triple IPA (12% ABV/80 IBU). With that trio hogging much of the horsepower, it's all too easy for Boneyard's strong Cascadian dark ales, including its Skunkape IRA partnership with Lib Tech Snowboards and Armored Fist (10% ABV/80 IBU) collaboration with Three Floyds to get lost in the scrapheap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV