10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S.
8. Elysian Brewing.
2011 production: 13,525 barrels
2012 production: 31,869 barrels
Growth rate: 136%
It's been a long, weird trip for founder Dick Cantwell and Elysian, but it's been one worth making. Elysian has existed in various forms since 1996, when it opened its original brewery in Seattle's Capitol Hill, but remained a largely local affair until about five years ago. In its early days, Elysian operated in the shadow of pioneering Seattle breweries including Redhook and Pyramid, but did what it could to survive when the microbrew bubble burst in the late '90s.
In 2008, Elysian entered an agreement with collaborator New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins, Colo., that allowed it to brew large batches of its Immortal IPA and small seasonal beers such as its Trip collaboration series and its fresh hop IPA at New Belgium's more sizable facilities. Elysian didn't open a large production facility of its own until 2011, when it found space in Seattle's Georgetown. While collaborations with breweries including New Belgium, Green Flash, Stone and The Bruery gave Elysian a boost, the quality of Elysian brews including its Loser Pale Ale partnership with Sub-Pop Records, its multiple pumpkin ales and its spate of hop-heavy IPAs have cemented Elysian's reputation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV