10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S.
9. 10 Barrel Brewing
Location: Bend, Ore.
2011 production: 2,700 barrels
2012 production: 6,000 barrels
Growth rate: 122%
The brewery known as Wildfire Brewing when it first opened in 2006 is looking a whole lot more like its former name than its undersized current moniker. Founding brothers Jeremy and Chris Cox expanded 10 Barrel's operations recently from a 2,500-square-foot facility with a small, local reach to a 15,000-square-foot monstrosity that covers a distribution area covering all of Oregon, parts of Idaho and Vancouver, Wash., and has recently achieved a toehold in Seattle. Their operation runs out of a 50-barrel brewhouse, even though their 10-barrel operation is still in place.
The brothers have also added a canning line and built a brewery in Boise to give that town its first new brewer and brewpub since the George H.W. Bush administration. They've drawn enough respect with their Small Tank Project beers to collaborate with the likes of Stone Brewing, but their regular slate of beers including Apocalypse IPA holds its own. At this year's Oregon Brewers Festival, demand for their grapefruit-laden Berliner Weisse -- affectionately named Swill -- was so strong that lines stretched the width of the festival grounds by the Willamette River. Keep in mind, that's a beer you can get for $1.99 at any bottle shop in Portland.We'd say they're doing this all in spite of sharing the same hometown as 25-year-old craft beer mainstay Deschutes Brewing. Considering that the Cox brothers have former Deschutes brewer Jimmy Seifrit on the payroll, however, maybe having Deschutes around wasn't so bad.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV