10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S.
1. Blackstone Brewery
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
2011 production: 600 barrels
2012 production: 7,740 barrels
Growth rate: 1,190%
That's the smallest starting point for any brewery on this list, but last year's ridiculous growth made Blackstone the fourth-largest of the fastest-growing breweries in the U.S.
Tennessee and Nashville in particular deserve at least a bit of the credit. With 31 breweries -- or one for every 205,000 Tennesseans -- the Volunteer State ranks No. 38 in capita per brewery. We realize it's whiskey country, but it's somewhat hard to believe that the beer-loving artists coming out of Nashville don't thirst for something other than a light lager every now and then.Maybe it just took some time for Nashville's brewers to scrape together some cash and for tastes to change. Blackstone's been kicking around as a brewpub since 1994. Its Chaser Pale and Nut Brown Ale have been awarded medals at both the Great American Beer Festival and the World Beer Cup, while its St. Charles Porter is the most award-winning Brown Porter in the history of the Great American Beer Festival. Blackstone didn't get around to opening its bottling facility until 2011, though. There was some question about whether Nashville would embrace bottles of American Pale Ale or Picnic Summer Ale, but those were answered all too quickly last summer. Blackstone is now cranking out its own beers as well as those of St. Louis-based Schlafly Beer thanks to an agreement reached by the brewers -- and, most notably, former Schlafly brewery and current Blackstone head Dave Miller -- two years ago. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV