10 Fastest-Growing Craft Breweries In the U.S.
2. Karbach Brewing
2011 production: 674 barrels
2012 production: 8,169 barrels
Growth rate: 1,112%
If you're not quite getting how easy canning has made distributing craft beer, let's give you yet another example.
Tell us if any of this sounds familiar: A brewery opens in Texas in summer 2011, a brewer from Flying Dog serves as brewmaster, puts the brewery's flagship styles in cans and suddenly there's enormous growth. Karbach brewmaster Eric Warner's tale is a bit different than that of the lads at Austin Beerworks, as are those of owners and co-founders Chuck Robertson and Ken Goodman, but the small brewery on Karbach Street came into being in a similar environment.Houston's craft beer community was already thriving thanks to Saint Arnold Brewing and Real Ale. But Texas-themed craft brews including Hopadilla IPA and Rodeo Clown Double IPA, as well as their easy-sipping siblings Weisse Versa Wheat and Sympathy For The Lager, found a large and willing audience. Oktoberfest, pumpkin, saison and holiday seasonals followed and beer-loving Houston was on board. Considering that Beer Advocate ranked Texas and its 86 breweries No. 42 in the nation in capita per brewery -- with more than 292,000 Texans for every brewery -- we're kind of surprised there aren't more stories like those of Austin Beerworks and Karabach coming out of the Lone Star State.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV