I will be surprised, if not completely shocked, if the $13.65 offer goes much higher. Dell's not worth anything. Before you send in your emails, I say this knowing full well that Dell has $12 billion in cash on the books and still produces more than $4 billion in operating cash flow.
But I don't find this impressive. There are many companies on Wall Street that produce these same sorts of numbers without receiving the public attention or press coverage that Dell enjoys today. Quite frankly, I'm annoyed by this.
Given the competitive advantages this company once enjoyed and allowed to slip away, I believe it's a travesty of capitalism that Michael Dell still has a say in what this company is able to do next. All the while, frustrated investors who have held on to their stock faithfully, are used as pawns for a decision that may end up taking years to produce any sort of meaningful value post privatization. Again, nobody knows what that value will be.
The company's current challenge is trying to find new ways to grow its high-margin segments, which include networking and storage. It would also serve investors is management was able to figure out ways to better leverage Dell's recent acquisitions.Not only must the company synergize these deals with its existing businesses, but Dell has to also uncover new ways to address mobile. Until then, it's pointless to discuss value. Dell will forever be that company with a dying PC business. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV