August Jobs Report Shows Biggest Growth Story Success Since Great Recession
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Five years to the month removed from the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Americans bustling into their offices on Friday morning received a pleasant reminder that the recovery is really a success story.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the United States added 169,000 jobs in August as the unemployment rate ticked down to 7.3% from 7.4% in the prior month. Though economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg expected 180,000 new jobs, the miss and the downward revisions weren't terrible.
The data, when placed among other recent economic reports, is a subtle reminder that the economy actually looks pretty good.
"I can tell you that they're
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV