DELAFIELD, Wis. (Stockpickr) -- Trading stocks that trigger major breakouts can lead to massive profits. Once a stock trends to a new high or takes out a prior overhead resistance point, then it's free to find new buyers and momentum players that can ultimately push the stock significantly higher.
>>4 Red-Flag Stocks to Sell This Summer One example of a successful breakout trade I flagged recently was shipping player Eagle Bulk Shipping (EGLE), which I featured in Aug. 16's "5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts" at $3.75 a share. I mentioned in that piece that shares of EGLE had been trending sideways inside of a consolidation pattern over the last few months, with shares moving between $3.10 on the downside and $4.39 on the upside. Shares of EGLE were just starting to bounce off its 50-day moving average and were quickly moving within range of triggering a breakout trade above resistance at $4.08 to $4.39 a share.
Guess what happened? Shares of EGLE started to trigger that breakout the following week as the stock ran up to a high of $4.45 a share. Then the stock pulled back to just below its 50-day moving average at $3.51 a share, but it made a higher low from the previous low of $3.30 a share. Shares of EGLE then exploded to the upside this week with the stock running up to its intraday high today of $5.37 a share. That represents a monster gain of over 40% from that $3.75 level in just a few weeks. Bulls on EGLE should now watch for any move above $5.28 a share with high volume for continued upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV