PLEASANTON, Calif., Sept. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), one of the largest corporate supporters of cancer research and outreach, today announced that its stores raised $10.3 million during the company's annual Prostate Cancer Awareness campaign.
For the 13 th year in a row, Safeway's entire chain of more than 1,600 stores dedicated an entire month to raising money and increasing awareness for the fight against prostate cancer, which currently affects more than two million American men and remains the second-leading cause of cancer death for men in the United States. One in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime. To date, Safeway's customers have donated nearly $86.8 million to the cause.
"We'd like to express our gratitude to our customers who have, year after year, shown commitment to this important cause by contributing and helping to save lives, one dollar at a time," said Larree Renda, Safeway Executive Vice President and Chair of the Safeway Foundation.To identify the most promising and groundbreaking prostate cancer research projects for funding, Safeway and The Safeway Foundation partner with a range of cancer research organizations such as the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Stand Up to Cancer, and the University of California at San Francisco. The donations have funded more than 1,600 research projects, yielding several leading-edge, life-saving treatments. Over the past three years alone, six new prostate cancer drugs were approved by the Food and Drug Administration and dozens of new drugs are currently in trials due to Safeway's support. Safeway's support has also led to a treatment that may decrease cancer deaths by 20 percent per year by deploying new combinations of surgery and medications early in the course of the disease.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV