We're About to Have a Death Boom. Are You Ready?
By Lewis J. Walker
NEW YORK (AdviceIQ) -- Most folks don't make preparations before dying. Preparing means communicating with relatives and other loved ones -- and it's hard.
First responders and combat soldiers train for life-threatening situations. They rehearse responses and how to communicate with team members. Generally, families don't do that. When a crisis strikes, loved ones wing it amid stress and confusion.
We know serious accidents and life-threatening illnesses can strike. Shouldn't we communicate our wishes to our loved ones, our potential caregivers, before a crisis?
In late June, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution interviewed Toni Miles, director of the College of Public Health Institute of Gerontology at the University of Georgia. She spoke of the emotional and physical strain that caregivers and survivors experience after the death of a loved one. As head of the Mortality Project, which tracks death's health effects on survivors, Miles noted, "We are now in a new period where demography influences mortality. As the baby boomer age wave rolls on, almost 80% of all deaths in any given year are people age 40 and older."power of attorney -- where you appoint someone else as your legal agent when you can't manage your affairs -- for assets and health care and address the many questions. Let's say you can't make decisions at the end of your life. Who manages your financial and business affairs? Who accesses funds to finance your care? Where does the money come from? Did you create a plan with a financial advisor? Are you realistic about costs? Can your designated agent find all of your accounts? Passwords? Who's your alternate if your primary designee cannot act?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV