Gary Bauer Weighs In On The Impact Of Fatherless Families On The Rise In Off-the-field NFL Violence
" The rise in player violence is an indictment not of guns or football itself but of a culture in which most children are raised in broken families," observes Bauer in USA Today .
WASHINGTON, Sept. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a column today in USA Today, former presidential candidate Gary Bauer weighed in on the rise of violence among NFL players, noting that family breakdown is having an impact among America's sports heroes.
"As more and more of our children are raised without dads, our schools will continue to fail, our drug problem will continue to grow, crime will continue to bedevil our communities and in all areas of American life—including the NFL—we will see more adult men prone to violence and lawlessness," said Bauer, the president of American Values.
In the column, Bauer writes: "While the NFL has always been violent, the high level of off-the-field violent crime among its players is a relatively recent phenomenon. The rise in player violence is an indictment not of football but of a culture in which most children are raised in broken families. It is a culture that, despite the evidence, many cultural and social elites refuse to acknowledge."According to my analysis of the San Diego Union Tribune 's NFL Arrests Database, 35 players have been arrested for violent crimes since the beginning of the 2011 season. Of the 26 players whose family histories I could glean from online research, 21 (80 percent) grew up in homes in which at least one biological parent (in most cases the father) was absent. Bauer observed that rather than condemning the sport, perhaps we should be asking whether the NFL has a broken families problem?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV