Mortgage servicing assets are written down when long-term rates decline, since the likelihood of refinancing -- and a loss of servicing fees on the paid-off loans -- rises. When rates rise, the opposite happens.
O'Connor also estimates SunTrust will lay off roughly 900 staffers working on nonperforming loans and repossessed assets, for annual savings of roughly $150 million, "driving our higher EPS estimates."
SunTrust reported a second-quarter efficiency ratio of 66.56%, improving from 68.83% a year earlier. The efficiency ratio is, essentially, the number of pennies of overhead for each dollar of revenue. During the company's second-quarter conference call in July, SunTrust CFO Aleem Gillani said "We remain committed to achieving an approximate 65% efficiency ratio in 2013 and to our long-term target of below 60%."
O'Connor estimates that the long-term expense decline as the housing market recovers "is worth $150m [annually] or $0.20 per share and is not reflected in consensus estimates."SunTrust's shares closed at $32.55 Thursday. The shares have returned 16% this year, following a return of 62% during 2012. The shares trade for 1.25 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $26.08, and for 11 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.97, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2015 EPS estimate is $3.32. STI data by YCharts
Interested in more on SunTrust? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV