DETROIT, Sept. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Communities and nonprofits across the country will receive a helping hand from General Motors' employee volunteers from September 9-13 as part of the company's second annual "teamGM Cares Week." From packing food and building homes to cleaning up beaches and neighborhoods, approximately 75 projects will be undertaken.
"Helping others is as much a part of our company culture as building the world's best vehicles," said GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson. "We have the ability to make a difference and we are committed to doing so."
Examples of projects that will take place during this week of service, or during other specially designated volunteer times, include:
- Sept.12: Volunteers from GM's office in Thousand Oaks will clean Zuma Beach in Malibu as part of California's Adopt-A-Beach Program.
- Sept. 11: Chevrolet's Florida/Caribbean Zone team is partnering with the Miami Dolphins to create care packages for troops serving overseas.
- Sept. 9-13: The GM Components Holdings team in Kokomo will complete a variety of projects with the United Way, Kokomo Humane Society, School Corp and Rescue Mission.
- Sept. 12: Roughly 400 employees from GM's Tax Staff and Cadillac Global Marketing will partner with the Brightmoor Alliance and other community organizations to fight blight near the Gomper's Elementary school in Detroit.
- Sept. 12 and 13: U.S. Sales Operations will have 400 volunteers assisting Habitat for Humanity Detroit with neighborhood cleanup efforts in the Morningside Commons community. The GM Foundation and Diversity teams will help build two homes in the same community.
- Aug. 27: The Lansing Delta Township Quality Engineering team made and served meals at the Ronald McDonald House in Lansing.
- Sept. 9-13: GM's Parts Distribution Center team will help prepare for Hurricane Season by partnering with Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network to set up HAM radio Emergency Stations in Jackson.
- Sept. 10: GM's Asset Management team in New York City will volunteer with the Central Park Conservancy to complete a variety of projects in Central Park.
- Sept 12 and 13: The GM Parma Metal Center will prepare and pack food at the Cleveland Food Bank.
- Aug. 24 and Sept. 21: The Customer Care and Aftersales team adopted a neglected cemetery in Capleville and will clean the graves of military veterans, including cutting the lawn and trimming around the grave markers.
- Sept 13: The Arlington Assembly Plant team will paint a home for Trinity Habitat for Humanity as part of the "Preserve A Home" project in Fort Worth.
- In Austin, volunteers from IT will work at the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Sept 10: GM's West Virginia District Managers will help the Gabriel Project, an organization devoted to assisting low income mothers, by sorting clothing and food donations, as well as assisting with administrative tasks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV