8. -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM - Get Report) said Thursday it would stop accepting student loan applications after Oct. 12. The bank said it no longer sees meaningful growth in the market as more families opt for government-backed loans.
9. -- Pork processor Smithfield Foods (SFD) is expected by analysts to report on Friday fiscal first-quarter earnings of 47 cents a share on revenue of $3.19 billion.
10. -- Peyton Manning threw seven touchdown passes as the Denver Broncos beat the Baltimore Ravens, 49-27, in the opening game of the 2013-2014 NFL season on Thursday night.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts