10 Cars From 2013 You Should Buy Now
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Get ready to see a lot more balloons, streamers, inflatable gorillas and wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube guys along the dealership-dotted stretch of your local highway in the next few weeks. It's musical chairs time at the car lots.
As a commercial likely screamed at you recently, dealers are trying to clear out 2013 models to make room for 2014 vehicles. When the vehicle in question has received a big overhaul between model years or has been discontinued, the folks in the rumpled suits are especially motivated to go behind the one-way glass and talk to their manager about making a deal.
Right now they could use the help. According to auto sales site TrueCar, 2013 vehicles still made up 86.9% of all vehicles sold at the end of August. The 2014 models made up 11.9%, which is still better than the roughly 10% of the market the 2013s took at this time last year, but it's still a long way from tipping the balance.
While some brands' release schedules put them ahead of the game -- with 2014 models already making up nearly 68% of sales for Honda's (HMC) luxury brand Acura and 59% for Volvo -- automakers including Dodge and Toyota (which each got 99.2% of their August sales from 2013 models, have some serious sweeping to do before the new vehicles arrive. With help from TrueCar, we found 10 vehicles that are getting price cuts in an attempt to accelerate sales. If you're willing to forgo some model year updates, here are the best deals in the showrooms:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV