MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of the General Mills long term sustainable sourcing program, the company and its Foundation announced today a four-year joint commitment with supplier partner AgroMantaro to provide $1.1 million to help smallholder artichoke farmers in Peru increase yields and improve profitability.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/63226-general-mills-agromantaro-sustainable-sourcing-program-in-peru
The new program will reach nearly 100 small-scale artichoke farmers in Peru and will:
- Provide training on crop management and post-harvest practices
- Provide microloans to purchase artichoke shoots and seeds for farmers who lack collateral or a verifiable credit history
- Offer program participants in-depth training on how to form farmer cooperatives
- Provide financial planning education and information on how to formulate business plans
- General Mills will share its extensive supply chain and agronomic knowledge in addition to providing financial assistance;
- AgroMantaro, relying on years of agribusiness experience along the Peruvian Sierra, will provide technical and agronomy engineering support, and financial assistance for seeds and plant shoots;
- CARE will leverage its expertise in facilitating community governance and local connections, provide key training elements, and work side-by-side with farmers and AgroMantaro to meet the project objectives.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts