Say No to School: Ask Noah
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Q: I was all ready to attend a prestigious graduate school. Then, suddenly, I got this dream job offer that was too good to turn down. Happily, I was able to defer admission, but now I feel a little pissed at the fact that I won't be back in school. Just hoping I made the right decision. Thanks.
A: Deferring admission to the prestigious graduate school was a rational and wise choice, although passing regrets are inevitable and may continue to linger for some time.
Scholastic life is enticing and it's hard to dismiss the merits of furthering one's education. Gaining new knowledge, being among like-minded individuals and experiencing learning for learning's sake is profoundly seductive.
However, when you step away from shiny admissions brochures there's a real risk in taking yourself out of the job market. Essentially, there's no real guarantee of professional success post-graduate school. This can be very scary and produce serious anxiety in anyone. In addition, graduate school is expensive and frequently seems to exist in an intellectual vacuum, often quite separate from the actual profession being studied.All of this doesn't take away from the fact that you may eventually benefit from attending this program. With this in mind, take full advantage of the time this deferment awards you. Educate yourself about the profession and the role higher education could or could not play in your career development. By the next academic year you should be able to answer these three questions:
Do I need this degree to advance professionally?
Will it help me make more money?
Could it make me significantly more informed and passionate about my career choice?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV