Trade-Ideas: J.C. Penney (JCP) Is Today's Pre-Market Leader Stock
- JCP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $410.8 million.
- JCP traded 168,614 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:19 AM.
- JCP is up 2.1% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in JCP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for JCP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on JCP: J. C. Penney Company, Inc., through its subsidiary, J. C. Penney Corporation, Inc., operates department stores. The company sells family apparel and footwear, accessories, fine and fashion jewelry, beauty products, and home furnishings. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.4%. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate J.C. Penney a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for J.C. Penney has been 15.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. J.C. Penney has a market cap of $2.8 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.75 and a short float of 40.9% with 2.10 days to cover. Shares are down 35.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates J.C. Penney as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.51 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.44, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, PENNEY (J C) CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PENNEY (J C) CO is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.55%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -22.00% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$708.00 million or 2112.50% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- PENNEY (J C) CO has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENNEY (J C) CO reported poor results of -$4.49 versus -$0.73 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 35.0% in earnings (-$6.06 versus -$4.49).
- You can view the full J.C. Penney Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.