NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As economic releases pick up in quantity, jobs data and data regarding economic output are at the forefront of investors' minds.
On Wednesday, August auto sales were released with the strongest reading since October 2007, a sign of a rebound in consumer health.
The first chart below is of General Motors Co. (GM), a company that has worked tirelessly to recover from the recession.
Improved auto data may signal the need for less intervention from the Federal Reserve, which could lead to a short-term negative shock to share prices, but long-term growth should push GM to record highs.The next chart is of iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond (SHY) over iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT). This pair measures the Treasury yield curve. If the government lessens its planned intervention into Syria, the fear that drove investors into Treasuries should diminish. Likewise, better-than-expected economic results will lead the market to believe that the Fed will begin to taper bond purchases this month. And so the yield curve should continue its upward trend, unless expectations drastically change. (GLD). Although the conflict in Syria brought the price of gold quickly up to a resistance level, the precious metal will likely need a catalyst to break higher. The catalyst could come in the form of a major development in North Korea or some event that causes a fall in the price of the U.S. dollar. Follow @AndrewSachais This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV