Teens being displaced driving jobless rate to record levels
TORONTO, Sept. 5, 2013 /CNW/ - The jobless rate among students 15-18 years old looking for part-time work has climbed past 20 per cent - the highest on record - as older Canadians are increasingly being forced to take on part-time jobs, finds a new report from CIBC World Markets Inc.
The report notes that there has been a stunning 22 per cent drop in employment in the 15-18 age group since 2007, far outstripping the four per cent drop in their population over that period.
"While Canada's unemployment rate is well off its recession highs, the quality of new jobs has left much to be desired," says Avery Shenfeld, Chief Economist at CIBC. "Manufacturing has been steadily shrinking its share of the workforce, and of late, governments are also paring back. CIBC's job quality index has captured that trend decline. The lack of higher paying work has forced parents into taking the kind of employment previously reserved for teenage students."Mr. Shenfeld notes that the most significant employers of young Canadians has traditionally been in the retail and food service sectors. However, recently food counter and kitchen help employment has plunged among those under 19, but soared for other age groups, including a huge climb for those 25 and over. It's been much the same for lower level retail sales and cashier positions. "Young adults, displaced older workers, or immigrants whose education and skills are not always fully rewarded in the job market have been pushed into low-wage work during what has been a fairly lacklustre economic recovery," adds Mr. Shenfeld. "The real story is that the job market has not been strong enough to generate higher quality employment for older workers."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV