SEATTLE, Sept. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More than half (52 percent) of homeowners plan to make a home improvement or addition this fall, according to the Zillow® Digs™ Fall Home Improvement Trend and Spending Survey[i], compared with 60 percent in the summer; homeowners plan to spend $1,000, which is $200 less than during the summer.
While the percentage of homeowners planning remodels for nearly every room fell from the summer survey, homeowners will continue to focus on home office or playroom remodels in the fall.
"Fall is a perfect transition time from outdoor to indoor activities, which is resonating in home improvement plans and trends. Parents are sprucing up indoor play areas to keep the kids active and occupied, while looking for ways to update their own workspaces for the season ahead as workdays are shortened by kid pick-up and drop-off duty," noted Cynthia Nowak, Zillow Digs trend expert.Double-duty home officesAs the line between work and home continues to blur, homeowners are looking for quiet and clean spaces where they can wrap up leftover projects from the office or work from home during those rainy fall days. Six percent of homeowners said they would work on their home offices this fall, compared with 4 percent during the summer[ii]. In addition to the survey, members of the recently formed Zillow Digs Board of Designers, which provides Zillow Digs users insight into unique and current trends in home design, shared their experiences and advice on fall remodels. For home offices, the majority are designing home office spaces for dual purposes, whether adding a daybed for napping, a desk doubling as a guest bedroom nightstand or a mini kitchen for the home office coffee pot.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV