MCKINNEY, Texas, Sept. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has completed successful test and demonstration flights of the SeaVue XMC (eXpanded Mission Capability) maritime surveillance radar in Australia. The flights have been conducted during the last year in coordination with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service.
As part of the Australian Border Protection program's technology refresh initiative, an Australian Customs Dash 8 surveillance aircraft upgraded its SeaVue radar to the XMC configuration for the demonstrations. The SeaVue XMC radar system provides a next-generation maritime situational awareness package developed during the Ocean Surveillance Initiative (OSI) program. The OSI program was sponsored by the U.S. Navy's Naval Sea Systems Command to address a need for complete, persistent and accurate wide-area surveillance in the tactical maritime theater.
"SeaVue XMC provides our customers with unsurpassed maritime domain awareness capabilities," said Jerry Powlen, vice president of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems in Raytheon's Space and Airborne Systems business. "These demonstrations provide objective evidence that Raytheon can complement our industry-leading sensor technology with the information management tools required to provide real-time, actionable information to the warfighter."
SeaVue XMC Advanced CapabilitiesThe SeaVue XMC maritime surveillance radar's innovative features provide both radar and mission system advanced capabilities, such as automatically detecting, tracking and sorting thousands of maritime targets simultaneously and correlating radar tracks with Automatic Identification System (AIS) contacts.The system also geographically registers radar detections to AIS data and digital nautical chart features, allowing for more precise target tracking, locating of threats and accurate cross-sensor cueing to the electro-optic system. The SeaVue XMC is currently the only system that offers these critical capabilities for persistent surveillance, tracking and identification of small targets in complex littoral environments. Three days of flights from Cairns, Australia, demonstrated the upgraded capabilities to the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, Royal Australian Air Force, Defence Science and Technology Organisation, and Defence Material Organisation -- and the U.S. Navy participated in the demonstrations. Simon Luck, technical director for Australia's Customs and Border Protection Service, said the demonstrated capabilities of SeaVue XMC were reinforced during the trial, in particular:
- In broad maritime areas where medium- to high-altitude persistent surveillance is required;
- In littoral waters with high-density traffic requiring fast contact discrimination;
- In surveillance platforms where the cost or size of bandwidth is a consideration;
- Where a reduction in operator workload is a requirement;
- Where a mission system that is fully integrated with all aerial surveillance assets is required, on the ground or in command centers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV