NEW YORK, Sept. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates moved higher, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate climbing to 4.72 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.29 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage increased to 3.74 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate rebounded to 4.88 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were higher also, with the popular 5-year adjustable rate now at 3.65 percent and the 7-year ARM crossing back over the 4 percent threshold to 4.04 percent.Some better economic news, in particular news on manufacturing and the Federal Reserve's Beige Book report, tilted the odds a little more in favor of the Fed beginning to dial back their stimulus later this month. However, the decision likely hinges on the upcoming employment report, with a strong report giving the Fed the cover they need to taper their bond purchases despite the looming debt ceiling and government budget debates. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.72 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,039.68, a difference of $139 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.72% -- up from 4.62% last week (avg. points: 0.29) 15-year fixed: 3.74% -- up from 3.66% last week (avg. points: 0.25) 5/1 ARM: 3.65% -- up from 3.61% last week (avg. points: 0.23)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV