Sept. 5, 2013
/PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) has reached an agreement with Telefonica, to become a reference supplier for its 4G LTE network in
, in a 4G LTE project that is among the largest in
- Telefonica Spain selected Alcatel-Lucent to deliver a 4G LTE network overlay.
- Alcatel-Lucent will deploy some 8,000 4G LTE base stations and the 5620 Service Aware Manager (5620 SAM).
- Commercial 4G LTE networks are about 10 times faster than 3G networks when they are used for downloading mobile content such as YouTube video clips. Network tests also saw upload speeds of around 10 megabits-per-second and low latency connections of 50 milliseconds – vital for video sharing and online gaming.
- Alcatel-Lucent will also deliver installation and turnkey project management services in the initial phase of the project, as well as systems integration, maintenance and configuration optimization to reduce time-to-market even further for Telefonica Spain.
- Largest 4G LTE agreement for Alcatel-Lucent in Western Europe to date and supports Alcatel-Lucent's ultra-broadband strategy as it helps service providers meet the ever-growing demands for data over their networks.
- Agreement follows two successful pre-commercial 4G LTE pilot networks in Madrid and Barcelona and the demonstration of Alcatel-Lucent's 4G LTE capabilities over a live network- consisting of small 'metro cells' and macro base stations – with Telefonica in Barcelona at Mobile World Congress 2012.
- Deployment complements Telefonica Spain's existing ultra-broadband fiber network with the capacity to meet customers' data needs today and into the future.
- Alcatel-Lucent has established a strong global leadership position in 4G LTE with more than 40 contracts for commercial deployments, including two of the largest 4G LTE network roll-outs to date, with two more in process and more than 40 trials worldwide.
ROQUE LOZANO, President Alcatel-Lucent Spain and Global Account Manager for Telefonica, said: "This is a significant agreement for Alcatel-Lucent and our largest in scope to date in
Western Europe. We are very excited to be able to work with Telefonica Spain in its 4G LTE project to serve its customers throughout the country. And we are ready to further explore other wireless technologies down the road, such as small cells to enhance coverage anytime, anywhere and over any device toward a wider collaboration framework."
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index in 2012 for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.