By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- NextEra Energy (NEE) has pulled back to a key level, and momentum traders are piling in.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of more than 4,300 January 82.50 calls, most of which priced for $2.20. Volume was more than 16 times open interest at the strike, indicating that new money was put to work.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the power-generation company, letting investors cheaply position for gains and enjoy major leverage if the stock rallies.NextEra shares rose 0.41% to $80.10 on Wednesday and are up 16% so far this year. That's almost triple the gain of the broader utility sector. Back on June 14, traders bought the July 80 calls for $1.40 to $1.55. The stock then proceeded to rally, and those contracts tripled in value by expiration. Total option volume was seven times greater than average in NextEra on Wednesday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 15-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in NEE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV