Eurozone Improvement Means ECB Set To Leave Rates
While the ECB's benchmark, the rate at which it loans to private banks, hasn't changed, some money market and bond market rates that determine what banks and companies actually pay for money have risen. The ECB doesn't want to see that because it wants rates as low as possible to help the recovery.
Market rates have gone up because people are anticipating the Fed will reduce its bond-buying program aimed at lowering long-term rates, and because of speculation the European and global economies may recover faster than expected.
"The ECB was very cautious in its assessment of the economic outlook today, caution we think is warranted," Marie Diron, senior economic adviser to Ernst & Young, said in an emailed statement. She said the forecast growth of 1 percent next will "only be enough to stabilize unemployment at high levels."
Draghi also said the ECB would not agree to any forgiveness of the debt Greece owes on government bonds held by the ECB. European leaders have admitted that Greece may need more financial assistance even after two rounds of bailout loans from the other euro countries and the International Monetary Fund.The ECB is one of Greece's creditors, but takes the stance that forgiving debt would violate the EU treaty's regulation that the central bank cannot finance governments. "The answer is no," said Draghi.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV