BETHESDA, Md., Sept. 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:SCMP) ("Sucampo") will be presenting data from four separate phase 3 studies evaluating the overall efficacy of AMITIZA (lubiprostone) as a treatment for adults with chronic, non-cancer pain suffering from opioid-induced constipation (OIC). One of the presentations will also include results of AMITIZA's long-term safety and another will highlight novel data indicating that the treatment does not interfere with the analgesic effect of opioids in adult patients. Sucampo will present these data during PAINWeek 2013 in Las Vegas on Thursday, September 5, at 6:15 p.m. PDT.
"Oral lubiprostone has been demonstrated to significantly improve OIC symptoms, and continues to be well tolerated by patients," said Sucampo's Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and Chief Scientific Officer Ryuji Ueno, M.D., Ph.D., Ph.D. "We are pleased to present these data that build on the body of clinical evidence and real-world experience that support AMITIZA as a treatment for OIC."
AMITIZA is the world's first chloride channel activator that increases intestinal fluid secretion, softens stools and increases motility in the intestine, thereby facilitating the passage of stool and alleviating symptoms associated with chronic constipation. Based on the data to be presented, AMITIZA does not interfere with the analgesic effect of opioids in adult patients.The following posters will be presented during the Poster Session at PAINWeek 2013 on Thursday, September 5, between 6:15 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. PDT at Level 2, Condesa 4:
- A phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of lubiprostone for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation in patients with chronic, non-cancer pain
- Byron Cryer, MD, Seymour Katz, MD, Taryn R. Joswick, BS, PMP, Gayle R. Dolecek, PD, MPH, Ryuji Ueno, MD, PhD, PhD, Poster 44
- Lubiprostone for Treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation Does Not Interfere With Opioid Analgesic Effects in Patients With Non-Cancer Pain
- Egilius L. H. Spierings, MD, PhD, Taryn Joswick, BS, PMP, Shadreck Mareya, PhD, Yijun Sun, PhD, Ryuji Ueno, MD, PhD, PhD, Poster 60
- Lubiprostone significantly improves constipation induced by non-methadone opioids in patients with chronic, non-cancer pain: results from a phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial
- M. Mazen Jamal, MD, MPH, Shadreck M. Mareya, PhD, Taryn R. Joswick, BS, PMP, Ryuji Ueno, MD, PhD, PhD, Poster 61
- Long-term safety and efficacy of lubiprostone in opioid-induced constipation in patients with chronic, non-cancer pain: results from a phase 3, open-label clinical trial
Additional information about the PAINWeek 2013 conference can be found at http://conference.painweek.org/ . About AMITIZA AMITIZA (lubiprostone) capsules are indicated for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) in adults and OIC in adults with chronic, non-cancer pain (24 mcg twice daily). The effectiveness in patients with OIC taking diphenylheptane opioids (e.g., methadone) has not been established. AMITIZA is also indicated for irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) in women > 18 years old (8 mcg twice daily).
- Spierings, Egilius L., Joswick, Taryn, Lindner, Elizabeth, Woldegeorgis, Fasil, Ueno, Ryuji, Poster 43
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV