NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Recently, the stock market has become less desirable very quickly. Over time I have found that weakness in the market can come on the scene rather fast in a fashion similar to the Indianapolis 500.
Now let's shift to the S&P 500. We have been zooming along at about 200 mph for the past several months, and every week I have been reporting in my newsletter the domestic stock market, small and mid-cap stocks, and biotech, pharmaceutical and the technology sectors are leading the way.
Well, all of a sudden, three things crept up on us: the debt ceiling, taper talk and Syria. They are all big threats, but Syria could be the most dangerous one.
It may lead to nothing and all blow over, but this is definitely not a time to have your foot on the accelerator because there seems to be a muffler on the track of the S&P 500 once again!That being said, there are also new opportunities arising. On days when the market is down, I handle the day just as I do any other day. I look at my holdings one at a time. Most are holding up just fine despite the new worries. Others are not and those are the ones I want to shed. Currently, I have had a pretty good-sized position in an income/dividend stock that is oil-related, which seems like a good place to me to be right now considering the troubles going on in the Middle East. In fact, I added to my position recently, which was good timing because the stock continues to hit new highs. This is a stock that I own in my growth and income accounts. I do not have people invested right now in bonds or Real Estate Investment Trusts earning those dividends and coupon rates. Why? Because bonds and REIT's are interest rate-sensitive and interest rates are going up. Instead, I have an eclectic mix of stocks that pay dividends and also, in my opinion, have the potential for capital appreciation going forward.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV