LAWRENCE, Mass., Sept. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NxStage® Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTM), a leading manufacturer of innovative dialysis products, today announced that it submitted public comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding its Proposed Rule for the Changes to the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System for 2014. NxStage's comments urge for CMS to correct the current insufficient and inequitable payments for home hemodialysis (HHD) training—making this life-changing modality more accessible to Medicare patients suffering from ESRD.
The Company calls for these changes based upon:
- Clinical data supporting superior patient outcomes with HHD, including more frequent HHD, vs. conventional in-center dialysis;
- Third-party surveys showing that nephrologists and other healthcare professionals would choose HHD most often for themselves if faced with ESRD, contrasting sharply with the small percentage of beneficiaries with access to HHD today;
- A Congressional mandate for CMS to develop policy that encourages more patients to be rehabilitated and treated in the home setting; and,
- Reliable analysis of CMS cost data showing that actual costs incurred per HHD training session ( $251-261) are substantially in excess of the current add-on payment ( $33.44 per session) for the required training services.
"Today's add-on payment of $33.44 per training session (intended to represent 1 hour of nursing time) is simply too low and does not adequately represent the time and effort required to ensure safe, quality care at home," said Joe Turk, President, NxStage Medical, Inc. "Given the clear and compelling benefits of home hemodialysis and the decades-old Congressional intent to encourage home dialysis and rehabilitation, it is essential that CMS update its policies for training payment to ensure beneficiary access to this modality. It is a disservice to patients to allow this situation to remain unresolved."
A copy of the Company's submission can be found at http://www.nxstage.com/ourcompany/blog/comments-are-inAbout the NxStage System One The NxStage System One is the first and only truly portable hemodialysis system cleared for home use by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Its simplicity and revolutionary size (just over a foot tall) are intended to allow convenient use in patients' homes and give patients the freedom to travel with their therapy. When combined with the NxStage Pureflow SL Dialysis Preparation System, patients are able to further simplify, using ordinary tap water to create dialysis fluid on demand. Unlike conventional hemodialysis systems, the System One requires no special infrastructure to operate. Under the guidance of their physician, patients can use the NxStage System One, with their trained partners, where, how and when it best meets their needs, at home or on vacation. http://www.nxstage.com/.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV