ADVISORY, Sept. 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- During the holiday-shortened trading period, the crisis in Syria appeared to weigh on European stocks, while the NASDAQ-100 Index (-0.99%) finished marginally lower. Also, metals were under pressure with speculation of Fed tapering early this fall leading some traders to unload their positions.
"As the world powers meet internally to decide next steps on the Syrian crisis, the potential conflict's influence on the market weighed most heavily on the emerging European economies, while other sectors, such as technology, shook off the news and focused on pending new product launches," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "In what is becoming a recurring trend, investors continued to flee from bond funds as rates continue their march upwards and the tapering talk continues to gain momentum."
|TOP INDEX MOVERS|
|LAST 5 TRADING DAYS (+/-)|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||-3.67%|
|NASDAQ EUROPE INDEX (NQEU)||-2.46%|
|NASDAQ EMEA INDEX (NQEMEA)||-2.42%|
|NASDAQ DM EUROPE INDEX (NQDMEU)||-2.41%|
|NASDAQ OMX CEA SMARTPHONE INDEX (QFON)||+2.27%|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU)||-6.75%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||+2.69%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY INDUSTRIAL METALS INDEX ER (NQCIIMER)||-2.59%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY PRECIOUS METALS INDEX ER (NQCIPMER)||-2.25%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY LEAN HOGS INDEX ER (NQCILHER)||+1.21%|
- An imminent attack on Syria was the main catalyst to Europe's underperformance. The NASDAQ EM Europe Index (-3.67%) and NASDAQ Europe Index (-2.46%) dropped on these fears.
- The precious metals space fell this past week as well, as the PHLX Gold/Silver Sector Index and the NASDAQ Commodity Precious Metals Index ER lost 6.75% and 2.25%, respectively.
- Natural gas futures climbed to a five-week high on concerns that the current heat wave in New York might increase demand. The NASDAQ Natural Gas Index ER (NQCINGER) climbed by 2.69% since last Tuesday.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Nora Sabry Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5468 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV