Other large deals this year indicate similar dynamics between PE firms and corporations.
Warburg Pincus sold Bausch & Lomb to Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) for $8.7 billion, in a deal that tabled an IPO of the eye care specialist. Rockwell Collins (ROC) and Cardinal Healthcare (CAH) have also participated in large acquisitions of PE portfolio investments this year.
Yankee Candle's acquisition by Jarden, while unique given Franklin involvement, may stand out as the transaction executives and investors pay attention to heading into 2014. Given a strong investor reaction to the deal, it won't come as a surprise to see other corporations look to PE portfolio's for their next acquisition.
Madison Dearborn, through a spokesperson, declined to comment.-- Written by Antoine Gara in New York. Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV