Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Boardwalk Pipeline Partners (NYSE:BWP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. Boardwalk Pipeline Partners, LP, through its subsidiaries, engages in the ownership and operation of integrated natural gas and natural gas liquids (NGLs) pipelines, and storage systems in the United States. The company also transports, stores, gathers, and processes natural gas and NGLs. The company has a P/E ratio of 22.43.The average volume for Boardwalk Pipeline Partners has been 600,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Boardwalk Pipeline Partners has a market cap of $6.6 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 19.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.TheStreet Ratings rates Boardwalk Pipeline Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins, increase in net income and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for BOARDWALK PIPELINE PRTNRS-LP is rather high; currently it is at 61.79%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 24.41% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 8.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $65.10 million to $70.50 million.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- BOARDWALK PIPELINE PRTNRS-LP's earnings per share declined by 6.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BOARDWALK PIPELINE PRTNRS-LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.37 versus $1.09 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.2% in earnings ($1.23 versus $1.37).
- You can view the full Boardwalk Pipeline Partners Ratings Report.
Latest Headlines about BWP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV