The UPS Foundation, The Philanthropic Arm Of UPS, And UNICEF, Partnered To Airfreight 220,000 Pounds Of Emergency Aid To Erbil, Iraq, To Assist Displaced Syrian Refugees. Image #UNI147451: © UNICEF Iraq/2013-0476/Ceerwan Aziz
On Sunday, September 1, The UPS Foundation, the philanthropic arm of UPS (NYSE: UPS), and The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) partnered to airfreight 220,000 pounds of emergency aid to Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, to assist displaced Syrian children and families. The relief cargo included lifesaving health and sanitation kits, therapeutic foods, tents, mats, water, early childhood materials, and education supplies. According to UNICEF, Syrian refugees in Iraq now number more than 200,000 -- some 50,000 refugees have arrived in the last two and a half weeks, half of whom are children.
The UPS Foundation, the philanthropic arm of UPS, and UNICEF, partnered to airfreight 220,000 pounds of emergency aid to Erbil, Iraq, to assist displaced Syrian refugees. Image #UNI147451: © UNICEF Iraq/2013-0476/Ceerwan Aziz
“Making a lasting difference around the world is a part of The UPS Foundation’s mission,” said Eduardo Martinez, president of The UPS Foundation. “Our organization is proud to work with UNICEF to respond to the humanitarian crisis affecting the millions of displaced Syrians.”
In addition to mobilizing aid for Syrians in refugee camps, The UPS Foundation utilizes UPS’s logistics expertise, transportation assets, and worldwide network to assist in community safety efforts, including disaster preparedness, relief efforts, volunteer deployment, and safe driving programs. This year, The UPS Foundation continues to support global communities with more than $5.5 million in donations, plus an additional $1.6 million committed to in-kind services, to 23 organizations that promote community safety through humanitarian relief and road safety initiatives.
The UPS Foundation’s community safety grants will support several organizations that provide humanitarian relief, including:
- The American Red Cross will allocate grant dollars to their Annual Disaster Giving Program and to support both domestic and international preparedness and response efforts.
- CARE USA received grants that will be used for a variety of programs including the ongoing expansion of the Aidmatrix Foundation’s CTS warehouse management system throughout CARE’s global network, including implementation at the world’s largest refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.
- The Salvation Army will use grant dollars provided for its Emergency Response Fund and in-kind shipping.
- United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) received grants toward a tracking innovation project to enhance services to refugees, logistics response training, and emergency response funding.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) will use grants to enhance tracking capabilities, support emergency preparedness efforts in Nigeria, and in-kind support for urgent relief operations.
- The Boys and Girls Club of Canada, The National Foundation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hands on Shanghai Limited, Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V., and UK Youth toward the expansion of The UPS Road Code program across Canada, China, the United Kingdom, Germany and the United States.
- FIA Foundation – Road Safety Fund will receive a pledge for the Fleet Safety Modular Driver Training Program to develop audio training modules on road safety, defensive driving and, health and safety on the road in South Africa.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV